So, if you've been keeping up with us on Instagram, you know that we've just returned from Miami. And after a 12 day vacation, we returned to Brooklyn with one serious travel bug. The need for constant changes of scenery, is nothing new for us. We love so much our little Willaimsburg abode, but it's near mandatory to escape every now and again. Weekend getaways became a fast friend of ours this Summer. Too hot to stay in the city, we chased down every beach and lake house within reach of the LIRR or Metro North.
Whether you're going to The Cape or Miami, or all the way to Australia, there are a few essentials that you'll need to remember to bring! And, since we've got traveling on our minds, we created a His and Hers Guide to Travel! This means, you and your boo (or best gay husband, like mine), can travel across the world and share some of the same products and/or sentiments.
1. Big Black Suitcase: We use luggage like we're on the run! Being wardrobe stylists, means that garment bags, vintage trunks, and enormous suitcases are our allies. Now, we suggest black, just because it's classic and will never go out of style (cough, cough glitter floral luggage). Our trick is, that we sometimes travel with our massive suitcases only half full. Then, when we arrive to whichever destination - and inevitably go shopping - we have more than enough room to bring back our new finds.
Big Black Suitcase - Tumi
2. Toiletry Travel Kit: This is the perfect go-to for a his and hers mini-"make-up"-bag. Keep it light and just travel with your essentials. We usually keep some Aveeno Calming Makeup Removing Wipes, a lip balm, dry shampoo, petite face wash, moisturizer, and duh, some deodorant.
Travel Kit - Longchamp
3. Your Fave Comfy Shoes: Flats or chucks, the idea is to keep things as comfortable as possible while you're on that jet-set grind. Who seriously wants to travel in strappy stilettos, for hours on end? Never, ever. But, if you're like Erica, you can always have your heels on hand and change into them in the cab on the way to the hotel. (Wink!)
4. Camera For Quick Snaps: It's so, so, so important to capture the moments you want to remember. Granted, sometimes it's nice to just have a memory without feeling the need to bombard your Facebook timeline with every last detail... But keeping the memories alive through photograph, is fundamental.
Camera - FujiFilm Instax
5. Headphones: We couldn't survive most plane rides or beach lays without listening to music along the way. A good book and a dope ass playlist is all you need to help tackle that 12 hours plane ride!
Headphones - Marshall
6. Chic Passport Holder: Travel in style and get your hands on a classic (but still fun!) passport holder. Mainly, something that can last years, and very many adventures!
Passport Holder - Coach
7. A Little Rosebud: Make sure you keep those lips hydrated and kissable at all times! We mean, #YOLO on vacation, right? Can't look a mess on the plane either, no make up but a dash of rosebud fixes everything. We promise.
Rosebud Salve - Smith's
8. Statement Watch: Gold is our go-to. Your travel attire should be simple and understated. For us, it's usually a basic tee, dark skinnies, comfy shoes (see above!), sunglasses (coming up!), and a watch. Not just any watch, something functional, but still noticeably bling-y.
Statement Watch - Michael Kors
9. Go-To Sunglasses: The bigger the better, ya know? Especially, if you're on a super early flight (like we always tend to be!), you are definitely going to want to cover up and wear a big-olsen-esque pair of shades.
10. Scented Candles: We don't leave home without a tiny bit of travel-zen. An insurance policy for your trip, as a means to take some quiet time in your hotel room, to just meditate or keep things fresh! Keep the ambiance going and light a candle! Makes such a difference!
Scented Candle - Casa
11. Journal: With all the possible travel texts and emails you've been sending to friends and family back home, you better remember to take time to write about your experiences! A travel journal is a great way to log your experiences or to-do lists! Make note of your favorite restaurants, a new song you just heard, or keep track of new phone numbers?
Journal, GiGi New York
12. Sleeping Mask: Whether you're hungover or are just really trying to get some serious shut-eye, the best way to go about this would be to rock a sleeping mask and just forget about it.
Sleeping Mask - Mary Green